16.3.10

a weekend with good friends - part I


To feel like a Lion on stage...

It was an amazing weekend, starting-out with Friday going to see my friends Vudu Chile play at Wooli's Kaban in San Miguel Allende. It was a special evening in that, unbeknownst to me, they had an artist as part of the show. The painter, Norton Wisdom, had performed a couple of days prior with David the vocalist, who was doing an acoustic show there, David was so impressed that he invited him to perform at the Vudu Chile show.

As I arrived, the 'canvas' was already being set-up, well ahead of the band's gear (surprise-surprise! lol). What it consisted of was a 4x8 sheet of plastic with shrouds on the sides and a bright spotlight on the back side. This illuminated the plastic canvas in a way that allowed the field to be seen even from the far end of the room and the paints that he used, as I found out later, were semi-translucent, and they became a glowing work of art as he worked to create them. This he did all evening, creating an amazing scene that was driven by the music being performed in simultaneous harmony - literally, performance art!

In my ignorance I asked Norton at the beginning of the show, "so do you do one painting for the whole evening or a couple, or what?"

He simply replied, "You'll see..."
That was an understatement.

It turns-out that he's a renowned painter famous for this style of work; there are several videos of him on-stage, so-to-speak. Here's a video of some of his paintings being created:


One important caveat - this form is basically just a sketch-version of what Norton Wisdom does on canvas. He travels with a photographic portfolio of his work that he sells, and it is amazing. Similar in concept to the 'stage paintings' however the depth of work looks to be several days, possibly even weeks to create.


The band set up their stuff and it was our first time together since I had left three weeks prior, so we had a lot of catching-up to do. I had brought back several things from the US that the guys could use for 'the music biz' so it was a bit like Christmas - we had a great time chatting and opening gifts! lol

The first two of the three sets saw several creations by our resident artist, which he would creat over a few songs, photograph and then wipe the board clean. A few of the painting s were a bit risque' ones that, while most of the customers really loved, a select few 'were not amused' and one decided that she had "had quite enough of this and this guy needed to change his paintings or end this immediately!". In a moment of clarity, as she demanded that the band interrupt the show and basically kick Norton out, David also decided that he had had quite enough of her pettiness and politely yet firmly informed her that instead of adhering to her demands, "perhaps it was time that she left".

After hearing the story, I and everyone else was quite proud of him.

The third set was especially fun, in that the alcohol was beginning to really kick-in, both on-stage and off! David worked the room as the seasoned pro he has become and the crowd danced and cheered with his 'improvisations', shall we say, during a song that allowed him to really cut loose. The evening was a very fun but it most certainly rated PG.

Settling into my comfy couch in the adjoining room behind the stage, I re-opened my laptop and went over some design specs for Gigbag, which I had been doing much of the evening, not to mention the whole week prior. We have been trying to have design of the Musician's section of the website completed so the vendors can get us an accurate estimate for it, which we expect to be quite a substantial sum. It has become something of a routine for me over the last few years, where any time that the muse is upon me I almost always carry my bag along just in case.

About 20 minutes into the set though, I see Javier, the bassist of the group waving to me to get my butt up there. My first thought was "shit, I haven't even touched a bass in almost a month!" and me playing a song was probably an express ticket to clearing-out the bar. Luckily for me, I do have one thing especially in my favor: Javier, who is an amazing player is also a skilled technician, has set-up his G&L 5 string bass with such wonderfully low action and even my rusty fingers find it is a dream to play.

'The lads' insisted and we broke into a solid rendition of SRV's Texas Flood, which is a slow blues tune that really has a lot of room for what I would call, contemplation, and it allows deep infusion of emotion into it. At first I felt very rusty and a bit out-of-it, however it quickly clicked.

As the song moved out of the intro and into that now-famous opening riff that filled the room as Julian gave amazing voice to his guitar, channeling the fellow in the wide brimmed hat - the crowd resounded to the guitar lick's visceral tone, howling their approval.

As usual, the drummer Adrian set up a pocket and I could bury myself into it, focusing on both simple yet driving walking basslines. I guess the strength of the groove definitely registered on some as the owner of the bar came up to the stage and bowed-down in front of me, which was a huge compliment and also was the first time THAT has happened...! haha


It felt great, the bass just growled for me, which is something I strive to produce, and at the end of the song David put his arm around me and said, "Dude, look at the painting Norton did!" Turning around revealed an amazing painting a lion's head (straddled by a lady's legs, of course) flanked by a figure playing a highly-stylized bass guitar. In a 'shamanic moment' as David likes to call somewhat-inebriated deeply reflective conversation, we discussed the effect that my musical contribution that evening on Mr. Wisdom's painting. David asserts that my being here in San Miguel de Allende at this point in time and that meeting and playing with them is not merely an accident, but that it has a real purpose. I'm just happy to have known this evening and many others like it playing with these fellows called Vudu Chile.

With their help, the bass not only growled that night, but even roared...!











(After the Show - pic of Norton with Adrian the drummer)

Btw, if you wish to see more, Norton's website is at:

He's a great guy and if you get lucky enough to have a chance to see him, definitely go!

f